About

About

davis

Over a Century of Service to the Community


Community Connections of Jacksonville is one of the oldest human services agencies in Northeast Florida. Founded in 1911 as the Young Womens Christian Association of Jacksonville (YWCA), we have been helping impoverished families for more than a century.

Since its inception, Community Connections has developed imaginative and resourceful strategies and community partnerships to meet the ever-changing and multifaceted needs of working homeless and low-income women, children and families in Northeast Florida. Our essential support services and transitional housing helps develop self-sufficiency, and encourages our families to reach their full potential.

Organizational Timeline


      • 1911 –The YWCA purchased a fully-furnished hotel, which immediately became home to 12 permanent residents and 9 transients (thus beginning Community Connections history of providing affordable housing).
      • 1915 – Sponsored the first summer camp in the state.
      • 1919 – Opened and operated the first accredited night school in Duval County.
      • 1932 – The group destined to become the nucleus of the A.L. Lewis Branch was formed, and 300 African-American girls and teachers organized a character-building organization.
      • 1976 – Administered the Southeast Asian Youth Development Program for refugees to develop leadership and increase cultural assimilation following the Southeast Asian conflict.
      • 1978 – Opened the first emergency housing program in Jacksonville for women with young children for assistance and housing (continues to operate as the Florence N. Davis Center).
      • 1994 – The Healthy Families program was added, providing family education, enrichment services, and child abuse prevention programs to Jacksonvilles Northside.
      • 1995 – Community Connections opened a transitional housing program for 50 formerly homeless families at Nia Terrace.
      • 2005 – Expanded Childcare Center programs with help of the Lucy Gooding Foundation.
      • 2007 – Received an endowment for the establishment of a Department of Development from Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver and named the Administration Building the Weaver Building.
      • 2011 – Community Connections celebrated 100 years of service to the women, children and families of Jacksonville.
      • 2012 – Community Connections launches Mardi Gras event.
      • 2013 – Community Connections launches Burgers 4 Babies.